Ingrown hair is hair that has grown back into the skin. It can cause inflammation, red and itchy bumps, and pain. Ingrown hair is a common condition that comes from hair removal; especially for people with curly hair. Or just anyone who shaves, to be honest. The simplest way to prevent ingrown hair is to let your hair grow freely. Which I’m 100% for. Body hair is natural and normal. However, if you prefer removing hair, here’s a guide on how to prevent ingrown hairs.
Thank me later, hehe 😉
- Before shaving, spend 10 mins in warm water to soften the outer layer of the skin.
- Exfoliate often. Exfoliating removes dirt and dead skin cells which keeps your skin clear. It’ll leave your skin smoother and less prone to ingrown hair.
- Always use shaving cream. Shaving cream helps moisturize the skin, makes the blade glide on the skin easily, and prevents razor bumps. Choosing the right shaving cream is so important and can make a lot of difference when it comes to achieving a bump-free skin.
- Shave with a sharp blade.
- Moisturise after shaving. It prevents irritation and makes you feel smoother.
- Shave in the direction the hairs are growing. Shaving against the direction of hair growth may allow a close shave which makes it easier for your hair to grow back into the skin. So always shave in the direction of hair growth.
- Rinse your blade after every stroke. Rinsing your blade after every stroke gets rid of anything clogging the blade which will make it more efficient and will help remove hair from the first pass. It will also keep your blade sharp and protect your skin from bumps and ingrown hair.
- Don’t shave too close. This can avoid creating a sharp tip when shaving and prevent hair from curling back into the skin.
- Consider laser hair removal. Laser hair removal removes hair at a deeper level as it destroys the actual hair shaft so there is no chance the hair can grow up again.
- Consider trimming. Instead of fully removing the hair, try trimming what you can. You’ll be less likely to develop ingrown hair from trimming as it leaves whatever hair is left long enough to not grow back into the skin.
Have a good day!