If we had to create a symbolic tableau of the world’s sentiments towards the end of 2019, it would potentially be a group of people around a table looking dejected and exhausted. It’s been a tough one, folks. in our metaphorical tableau, there’s a wisened energy; a feeling that after 365 days of emotional roller coasters, we’ve learnt one or two things that’ll help us get through 2020 and beyond. We’re all a year older, a little wiser, and everyone’s come out with their own mantra for the New Year.
So for this article, I decided to interact with you guys on my instagram as well as talk to everyone around me to put together one hell of a list of lessons we’ve all learned this past year. 2019 hasn’t exactly been my best year, but nevertheless I’m a completely different person than I was when this year started. I’ve learned a lot of things along the way, made new friendships and tried to make the best out of it. As this decade comes to an end, I’d like to share with you the valuable lessons that we’ve learned this year.
1. Aim to inspire and results will follow
2. If they’re toxic, they are toxic
3. Cutting off people who cloud your happiness is nothing to should be ashamed of
4. You don’t have to hang out with negative or toxic people just because they are your “friends”
5. It is what it is and everything happens for a reason that is beyond your thinking
6. Keep your circle tight and your relationships private
7. Not everyone will be happy for you and your success
8. Your circle should want to see you win, your circle should clap loudly when you have good news. If not, get a new circle
9. “I’ve changed” is total bullshit
10. “el donia betedy a7la khawazee2”
11. Whether you like it or not, life is unfair
12. There’s always going to be someone better, smarter and richer than you, so be the best version you can be of yourself
12. Being “better” than them isn’t the solution
13. Forgive yourself so you can move on
14. It takes strength to let go
15. Do whatever the fuck you want, you only live once – damned if you, damned if you don’t
16. Someone will always have something to say about you so do whatever makes YOU happy
17. Effort is a two way street
18. Give people a chance
19. Words don’t mean shit if they’re not followed by actions
20. Get out of your comfort zone, it’s the only way to discover yourself
21. Everyone’s feelings are valid, so you better listen when someone’s talking
22. You have a breaking point and those who don’t respect that aren’t worth shit
23. People move on
24. Accept that people can change and grow out friendships
25. Goals and plans can change too, that’s okay
Now that we’ve listed pretty much all your responses, here’re the biggest lessons I’ve personally learned this year:
- The people who said they’d never leave will and you have no choice but to accept it
- Thinking you have to go through hell for someone to love you and stay with you, isn’t love in the first place
- No response is a clear response
Before you say something or act in a certain way, think about the consequences. A person could be unprepared to hear a hard truth or won’t respond well to your gestures, no matter how good your intentions are. Treat each word with caution and take people’s feelings and emotions into consideration.
Take these pieces of advice as guidance, not as rules. Your life is your own and you know what’s best for you. However, keep in mind that morning is wiser than the evening, and everything is clearer in hindsight.
Enjoy the remaining days of this year!