By: Amina Farouk + Malak Taher
Ramadan is a time of unity, community, joy and elevated spirituality. Fasting regularly is a means for the body to rejuvenate itself, it aids the body in repelling, restoring and regaining balance. Suhoor is a time when the world is silent before the break of dawn, when the night has all but surrendered to the brightness of a new day and serenity surrounds your soul. When your heart eagerly awaits the thread of light that appears on the horizon and you are overwhelmed by the heavenly rays that touch the earth.
Suhoor helps cover nutritional needs, especially when it is balanced and includes a variety of food. Now that you know why suhour is important, here are some useful suhoor tips and food ideas to make it healthier, it will also be helpful in weight loss.These 5 delicious and healthy suhoor ideas for Ramadan have been gathered with that very idea in mind. A healthy diet during Ramadan will make the rejuvenation process easier and the results better.
1.In a non-stick pan, sauté 1 red bell pepper and half an onion in a few dashes of olive oil
2. Add a can of crushed tomatoes and fresh curry leaves.( If you feel like you need to add a few dashes of water don’t be afraid to do that).
3.Now, add 1 teaspoon of each of the following: cumin, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper.
4. Stir and cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. After that, make 4 holes in your pan to add your 4 eggs.
6. Leave on medium heat until cooked to perfection. Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped parsley.
This quick and fairly simple recipe will not disappoint you!
2. Overnight Oats
This might not be your traditional Ramadan suhoor go-to dish, but it will definitely do the deed. It will satisfy your cravings and give you an energy boost for the rest of the day.
1. In the morning, get a bowl and fill it with 1 cup of oats
2. Add a small ripe banana cut into small pieces and a roughly chopped handful of pecans
3. Then add 1 teaspoon of each of the following: cinnamon, flax seeds, and chia seeds. Cover with almond milk – and don’t be afraid to put a lot of it as it will be absorbed
4. Add frozen blueberries on top. Leave in the fridge until suhoor time. Some additional toppings would be honey and peanut butter for an extra energy boost and a satisfied belly.
3. The Classic – Foul w Beid
1. Use a pan according to the serving size and crack two eggs open after gently greasing the pan
2. If you’re a cheese lover then you can add a handful of whatever cheese you like or you can cut some peppers and throw them in as well for more nutritional value.
3. To give a little taste to your foul chop up an onion and boil some water in a saucepan
4. Heat olive oil in small to medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil until softened
5. Stir in the beans and lemon juice.
6. Next, stir in the the peppers or sauces you’ll be using until the mixture is thick.
7. Then, add the garlic, and cook for a few more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe will keep you full while being healthy and quick as well , i guarantee you’ll love it.
4. Protein Pancakes
- protein powder
- water or almond milk
- baking powder
1. Mix all of those ingredients together with a whisk to form the batter
2. Sneak some chocolate chips into this pancake batter for some extra sweetness
3.The protein powder is up to you, as it differs from one individual to the other, Imtenan’s protein powder works really well. I would look for one with the lowest amount of carbs, preferably sweetened with stevia.
4. Use 1/3 measuring cup for the perfect sized pancakes!
5. Top it off with the topping of your choice, but best use: honey, maple syrup and even nut-butter if you want.
5. The Go-To “Banana and Honey Toast”
1. Make two or three toasts just so they are crunchy enough
2. Use a spoon with the honey of your choice and layer the toast(s) with it
3. Slice a banana or two and place them on the toast – feel free to add a dash of cinnamon for flavour
4. If you want some extra nutrients then you can add a handful of almonds on the side to satisfy your cravings and keep you full
And don’t forget to have two or more glasses of water every suhoor!