We all know that Ramadan is the month of eating until you can’t breathe, so therefore it’s also the month of weight gain. But who says we can’t enjoy our food and satisfy our taste buds without the gaining weight part? Well I’m here to help out! Here are 5 very easy things you can make right at home that are guilt free and extremely delicious!
#1: Chicken Shawerma
Shawarma is a very easy meal to prepare and if done right, it’s much healthier for you. Switch out the heavy cream tomeya for yoghurt instead, and instead of white tortilla, opt for a whole wheat one instead.
So all you need for this one is grilled or boiled chicken with some yoghurt, whole wheat tortilla and some seasonings and Voila! You’re done.
#2: Stuffed Dates with Blue Cheese
I know, I know this sounds like a very weird combination, but trust me, dates and blue cheese are a match made in heaven, they both complement each other like a dream.
8 dates, seedless or deseeded
¼ cup blue cheese
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, mash the blue cheese until smooth. Tip in the parsley and mix well
- Add the walnuts, and mix again.
- Using a spoon, fill the dates with the cheese mixture and serve.
#3: Dates and Figs Fudge
After eating, that’s when the sweet tooth and cravings really kick in. Dates are essential in Ramadan and you’ll probably find lots of it in your kitchen. Figs are also everywhere and together make a really nice guilty free dessert!
2 cups dates, deseeded
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup figs
¼ cup sesame seeds
- Soak the dates and figs in water for 1 hour. Drain and pat dry.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients and pulse until you acquire a sticky mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a small baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and then cut into neat 1-inch squares. Serve.
#4: Frozen Watermelon Popsicles
All of our fridges are full of watermelon this summer, so this is a way to spice it up a bit and help us cool off in this summer heat.
2 Teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Other material needed:
- Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise, then into quarters. From there, you can choose to cut the fruit into wedges or slices.
- Cut off the rind and fish out any seeds with your fingers.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the watermelon pieces on the baking sheet. Insert the popsicle sticks in the bottom side of the minaret.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together honey and lime juice and sprinkle over.
- Freeze until firm. When ready, the watermelon pieces should be frozen solid and no longer soft enough to press into with your fingers. Enjoy!
Don’t Let the popsicle pieces touch each other. If the pieces touch during the initial freezing process, they are likely to freeze together, making it harder to defrost them later.
Place the frozen watermelon into a large freezer-safe plastic bag or resalable plastic container.
#5: Apricot Bites
The dried apricot cheese appetizer scores extra points as they are no bake and no cook. Within minutes you can assemble an easy and healthy appetizer without a sweat. Without fail, these elegant fruit appetizer pleases anyone and everyone. Satisfaction guaranteed.
Dozen dried Apricots, washed and drained
12 bite size pieces of brie cheese (optional, goat and cream cheese work just as well)
12 Pistachios, roasted and salted ( for a nut free version, use dried cranberries instead)
- Take the apricots and lay in a serving platter.
- Cut 12 pieces of brie cheese and put on top of each apricots.
- Garnish with pistachio and serve.